A Speech-Language Pathologist is a specialist who:

  • Helps people develop their communication abilities and treats speech, language, and voice disorders.
  • Provides services including prevention, identification, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of communication disorders.
  • May conduct research to develop new and better ways to diagnose and remediate speech/language problems.
  • Works with children who have language delays and speech problems.
  • Provides treatment to people who stutter and to those with voice and articulation problems.
  • Plans and conducts activities to improve a student’s communication skills (speaking, listening, thinking, reading, and writing.
  • Collaborates with parents, teachers, caregivers, and other professionals in understanding and meeting a student’s communication and academic needs.
  • Writes Individual Education Plans (IEP) for students with communication disorders as required by federal laws.
  • Educates parents, teachers, and administrators about communication disorders.
  • May aid people with foreign or regional accents who want to learn another speech style.
  • Has received at least a master’s degree from an accredited university.
  • Is licensed to practice by each state.
  • May be clinically certified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association

Leave a Reply